David Gittoes has worked within the recruitment industry for just over 10 years, a career which he feels he ‘fell into’ after being a golf professional for 4 years previously.
He joined Artemis Search over 5 years ago as a commission-only recruiter, but worked his way up to management level and then in July 2013 he was offered the chance to become an equal partner in the business which he accepted and he now holds the position of Recruitment Director. Artemis Search works within the Emerging Technologies Sectors, Financial Services Sectors and the Print Industry.
Click to tweet: David Gittoes shares his incredible journey on Recruiters Live Lounge today!
Favourite success quote
- David’s favourite success quote is taken from the famous US author and speaker Zig Ziglar: “People often say that motivation doesn’t last, like bathing, which is why we do it daily.”
Biggest failure faced in recruitment
- David feels he had his biggest failure in recruitment during an early period of his career, before he really committed to it, when over a couple of years he was trying to work through an illness which was really holding him back. Looking back he now realises how he was costing the business money, and more importantly taking up a lot of peoples’ time, which he now regrets.
Recruitment ‘eureka’ moment
- David’s lightbulb moment happened after he had taken some time to take stock of his life and do some soul searching and he realised he wanted to prove to himself that he could be a sustained success. He also realised he needed to constantly push himself, give himself structure and set daily goals and challenges to keep himself motivated and moving forwards. David then sat down with his now business partner and said ‘this is where I want to go, this is what I want to do’ and asked to be put on a commission only pay structure, as he wanted to back himself without the safety net of a salary.
The crystal ball
- Over the next five years David believes that the ‘run of the mill’ agencies, with no specialism will fade away. He believes that the next five years will see the rise of the niche!
Best piece of business advice
- “As a business owner you must take the time to work ON your business, and not just IN it” which he received from Roy Ripper.
Best business resource
- David has found that by providing structured training for his team has given them much higher confidence along with developing their skills. He has created a handbook that is used daily, he delivers training twice per week and supports his staff in their own self-development.
Best business book
‘The E-Myth Revisited’ by Michael Gerber
David’s final piece of advice for anyone wanting to get into recruitment – ‘Do your research and make sure it’s definitely what you want to do!’
- Artemis Search
- James Caan
- The pomodoro technique
- ‘Start your business in 7 days‘ by James Caan
- Barry Hearn
Find out more about David via his website at www.artemissearch.com or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.[images style=”0″ image=”http%3A%2F%2Fwww.recruiterslivelounge.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F11%2F4.jpg” width=”1200″ link_url=”http%3A%2F%2Fwww.royripper.com%2Fthe-vault2″ new_window=”Y” align=”center” top_margin=”0″ full_width=”Y”]
One in three recruitment agencies have a database where only 10% of their candidates’ information is up-to-date. Firefish can help increase this to 65% in six months. Every recruiter’s nightmare is missing out on a placement when the perfect candidate was in their database already, but they didn’t know because the details was outdated! That’s why Firefish doesn’t just store candidate data; it’s an engagement engine designed to help recruiters achieve the maximum placements from that data. Firefish offer a predictive recruitment sales and marketing platform that helps recruitment agencies attract, engage and place more candidates with their clients.
Visit www.firefishsoftware.com/reclivelounge and start talking to them today
In need of some FREE resources?
1) Click here to download Roy’s free eBook ’39 Must-read Books to Ignite You and Your Recruitment Business’
2) Click here to watch Roy’s free 3-part video series for recruitment business owners
3) Click here to watch free recruitment training videos on Roy’s YouTube channel